The future of water for agriculture in the West depends on farmers having a seat at the table. NYFC brings Western farmers and ranchers the water information they need to help shape that future.
NYFC’s Western Water Trainings help ensure that young farmers have the resources to understand their water rights, engage in meaningful conservation, and enter roles of water leadership. NYFC convenes local water experts in Western states to dig into Prior Appropriation, unpack the myths and realities behind “Use it or lose it,” weave through Colorado River Basin policy and interstate compacts, discuss conservation and efficiency financing, and more.
Questions these trainings address include:
- “What do I need to know about water when looking for land?”
- “Can I conserve water without forfeiting my water right?”
- “How do state regulations impact my irrigation options?”
- “How can I finance conservation and efficiency upgrades on my farm or ranch?”
- “Who do I call when I have a question?”
- “How do I get involved?”
In addition to in-person Western water trainings, NYFC is building an online water resource hub, connecting you to key water policymakers and administrators in your state, and producing downloadable Western water podcasts you can listen to from the field.