Over the past decade, the National Young Farmers Coalition has become a leading voice in U.S. agriculture.
With 40+ chapters and thousands of farmers and supporters as members, we enter our next phase of growth with excitement and confidence. But the challenge before us is great: we must expand rapidly and achieve much more if we are to have the level of impact necessary to halt and then reverse the decline of family farming in the United States. We are actively expanding our capacity and growing our team and we hope you’ll join us.
Development Associate (Full-time)
The National Young Farmers Coalition (Young Farmers) seeks a full-time Development Associate to assist with the organization’s fundraising activities. The Development Associate will report to our Development Director and will help grow our organization by assisting in all aspects of our fundraising activities: foundation and government grant management, individual giving efforts, and special event and annual campaigns. The position will ideally be based at our headquarters in Hudson, NY.
Young Farmers represents, mobilizes, and engages young farmers to ensure their success. We envision a country where young people who are willing to work, get trained, and take a little risk can support themselves and their families in farming. In order to achieve this vision, we are building a coalition of farmers, ranchers, and supportive consumers of all racial, ethnic, social, and economic backgrounds. Young Farmers strongly encourages all interested persons to apply. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Individual Giving, Membership, and Special Events Support (40%)
- Support individual giving campaigns through prospect research, donor communications, and coordinating development meetings for senior staff.
- Draft communications for individual donors and funders that highlight the compelling story of Young Farmers.
- Manage individual donor relations through tracking donations, writing appeals and acknowledgment letters and ensuring donor fulfillment is complete.
- Provide support for special events, including donor outreach and follow up; assist in assembling invite lists, sending invites, tracking RSVPs; lead on event logistics and management of outside vendors.
Data Management (20%)
- Input of development data in the Young Farmer’s customer relationship management system, Salesforce. Responsibilities include tracking donations and grants, documenting engagements, updating donor records, and processing acknowledgements.
- Ensure accuracy of data and perform routine data pulls and queries as needed for reports, analysis, events, and mailings;
Development Administration (20%)
- Support senior leadership and development staff in relationship management including: prospect research, outreach, scheduling, and follow up.
Grants Management (20%)
- Work with program teams to draft compelling grant reports according to grantor guidelines and respond to ongoing requests for supplemental information and data from funders.
- Assist program teams and Development Director with other grant-writing, reporting, and prospecting functions.
- Strong communication: Excellent writing and proofreading skills with an ability to draft thought-provoking and compelling proposals and for varying audiences; timely and clear in communications with donors and comfort with engaging over the phone, via email, and in-person.
- Salesforce and tech skills: Experience using Salesforce and helping orient others on that platform; Experience with and curiosity for technology in the context of advocacy, grants tracking and reporting; experience using a variety of collaborative software such as Slack, Google Docs, and DropBox.
- Collaborative: Experience working collaboratively, both in-person and with remote colleagues, and serving as a resource and team-mate for staff with varying degrees of familiarity and responsibilities on development.
- Organized and detail-driven: Strong time management skills and experience meeting multiple project deadlines and objectives;
- Purpose-Driven: Familiarity and alignment with the mission of our organization and experience working for a non-profit organization.
The ideal candidate may also have:
- Experience monitoring a portfolio of grant reporting including federal, state, and foundation grants.
- Experience planning fundraising campaigns and coordinating large-scale events
- Experience with a national nonprofit organization
- Corporate partnership experience
- Background and familiarity with issues related to agriculture, racial equity, and climate.
- Young Farmers offers a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance as well as retirement plan.
- Salary range $41,500 – $45,000
Send a one-page cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with “Development Associate” in the subject line. No calls, please. Deadline to apply is November 9, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.