Over the past decade, the National Young Farmers Coalition has become a leading voice in U.S. agriculture.
With 40+ chapters and thousands of farmers and supporters as members, we enter our next phase of growth with excitement and confidence. But the challenge before us is great: we must expand rapidly and achieve much more if we are to have the level of impact necessary to halt and then reverse the decline of family farming in the United States. We are actively expanding our capacity and growing our team and we hope you’ll join us.
A note from Lindsey Lusher Shute on her transition from Executive Director.
Federal Policy Director
(Washington, D.C.) The National Young Farmers Coalition (Young Farmers) represents, mobilizes, and engages young farmers to ensure their success. Since our founding in 2010, we have launched 43 farmer-led chapters in 29 states and grown our grassroots based to 150,000. We give young farmers tools to become leaders in their communities, building an effective political voice at the local, state, and national level. Together, we tackle the most critical structural and economic barriers that prevent motivated young people from starting and growing successful farm businesses—including affordable farmland, student debt, climate change, healthcare and more. We have won historic investments in beginning farmer training, outreach to socially disadvantaged farmers, and farmland conservation. Our advocacy for a USDA Farm Service Agency microloan resulted in a loan program in every county that has served more than 30,000 farmers.
Young Farmers seeks an experienced and strategic Federal Policy Director who can lead and grow our policy initiatives in Washington, D.C. We are looking for a candidate who feels comfortable representing the voice of young farmers—someone who can connect with our diverse farmer members, hear their concerns, and fight for their priorities. Our ideal candidate feels equally comfortable lobbying a Representative, visiting a farm, leading a Coalition call, and briefing funders.
Policy Strategy & Implementation (60%)
- Work with Young Farmers leadership and farmer members to develop an ambitious federal policy agenda and strategy
- Monitor and analyze federal legislation related to Young Farmers and proactively identify and pursue new policy opportunities
- Develop and manage strategy to advance Young Farmers priorities in rulemaking and program implementation at USDA, as well as Department of Interior, FDA, Small Business Administration
- Manage Young Farmers events in DC, including farmer fly-ins, Convergence, and Hill briefings
- Develop relationships with and serve as primary liaison to legislative and executive branch staff and other governmental stakeholders
- Work with Deputy Director to manage compliance for federal lobbying
- Advise VP of Policy & Campaigns and regional staff on state policy campaigns and grassroots strategy.
Policy Development & Communications (20%)
- Work with Communications Director and Executive Team to produce Young Farmers’ policy communications including position statements and reports as well as language for online actions, social media, blogs, etc.
- Conduct research and analysis to develop and support new and existing Young Farmers federal policy priorities
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization with press
Network & Coalition Building (15%)
- Build, manage, and participate in coalitions comprised of public, private, and non-governmental stakeholders across Young Farmers federal policy platform
- Engage farmer members in opportunities to influence federal policy including fly-ins, Congressional hearings, press conferences, etc.
Funder Management (5%)
- Engage and inform current and prospective funders on our federal policy work
- Assist Development Director in cultivating new funders interested in supporting federal policy work
The successful candidate will offer:
- Knowledge of agricultural policy and the federal policy process, demonstrated by at least four years of experience in a policy role;
- Experience crafting and implementing legislative campaigns;
- The capacity to lead our DC team, partners, and stakeholders in common cause;
- A demonstrated commitment to equity in the workplace and in advocacy work and demonstrated ability to recognize and address issues of racial privilege and discrimination;
- Compelling skills as a speaker and writer;
- Ability to work self-directed, but also be a strong team player;
- Be willing and able to work on a flexible schedule with occasional travel;
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Be based in Washington, D.C.
The ideal candidate may also:
- Have experience working on a farm;
- Have experience in non-profit fundraising;
- Hold a relevant graduate degree in law, economics, or policy.
- $70,000-75,000 based on experience;
- Young Farmers offers a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and a one-page resume with any salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “FEDERAL POLICY DIRECTOR” in the subject line. No calls, please.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 29, 2019. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
National Young Farmers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and veterans to apply.