In eight years, NYFC has become a leading voice in the sustainable agriculture movement.
With 40+ chapters and thousands of farmers and consumers as members, we enter our next phase of growth with excitement and confidence. But the challenge before us is great: we must expand rapidly and achieve much more if we are to have the level of impact necessary to halt and then reverse the decline of family farming in the United States. We are actively expanding our capacity and growing our team.
- Event Coordinator (2018 National Leadership Convergence)
- New Mexico Campaign Organizer
Event Coordinator (2018 National Leadership Convergence)
The National Young Farmers Coalition will hold its 4th Annual National Leadership Convergence in Washington D.C. from November 12-15, 2018. The National Leadership Convergence is our annual flagship event and an opportunity for our nation’s young farmers to learn the critical advocacy tools that will make their voices heard on Capitol Hill. In 2018 we will host our largest contingent ever of young farmers and farmer leaders – we will bring together over 100 young farmers representing every national NYFC chapter for a three-day leadership training culminating in a Lobby Day on Capitol Hill.
The National Young Farmers Coalition is seeking a 2018 Convergence Event Coordinator from September to November 2018. The Coordinator will report to our National Chapter Coordinator and support this year’s event by primarily providing logistical support, coordinating with our sponsors and partners, and assisting with scheduling, speakers, and other event activities. The role will be part-time for the majority of the engagement but will need to be available for 40-50 hours during the weeks of November 5 and November 12.
Responsibilities will include:
- Support Chapter Coordinator with pre-event planning for transportation, venue, food and beverage
- Manage pre-arrival conference preparations, including: coordinating conference registration; staffing check in & out process; preparing guest welcome packets; and finalizing room assignments, rosters and dining needs
- Coordinate the logistics for speakers and assist with the day-to-day coordination of event and all venue logistics (venue hours, contacts, equipment, etc.)
- Assist during conference event including AV set up for conference rooms; setting up tabling, signs, and displays; providing support to conference attendees; and liaising with venue and transportation staff
- Assist planning for Young Farmers & Friends Mixer including venue selection, transportation, food and beverage, additional logistics
- Support logistics for Lobby Day including transportation to DC, room set-up and meal staging, and additional support for scheduling administrative and Congressional meetings.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including proficiency with Google Suite.
- Strong organizational and project/program management skills.
- Self-driven, creative, eager to learn, comfortable with making decisions and acting on them.
- Previous experience with large event planning and coordination
Compensation & Timeline:
NYFC is looking to hire this part-time position to begin approximately September 3 and conclude by November 19th. The employee can expect an average of 20 hrs. per week and must be available for overtime during the weeks of November 5 and 12 – including full-day activities during the Event.
Compensation will be hourly at a rate of $20-25/hr.
How to apply:
Those interested should provide a cover letter along with resume, availability, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Mexico Campaign Organizer
The National Young Farmers Coalition (NYFC) seeks a part-time New Mexico Campaign Organizer from as soon as possible, through April 2019. The Organizer will support our state campaigns by planning legislative farm tours and roundtables, conducting outreach to increase NYFC member participation, and supporting advocacy trainings and an advocacy day in early 2019. The Organizer will report to our Western Program Director and be supported by our Western Campaign Director and Chapter Coordinator. The Organizer will ideally be based within close proximity to Santa Fe, New Mexico but the role will require significant travel within the state.
NYFC represents, mobilizes, and engages young farmers to ensure their success. We envision a country where young people who are willing to work, get trained and take a little risk can support themselves and their families in farming. In order to achieve this vision, we are building a coalition of farmers, ranchers, and supportive consumers of all racial, ethnic, social, and economic backgrounds. NYFC strongly encourages women, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, and people of color to apply.
Responsibilities will include:
- Support planning for legislative farm tours and/or roundtable sessions
- Conduct outreach to engage NYFC chapters and members in advocacy
- Provide outreach & membership recruitment support for existing chapters and help develop new chapters in NM
- Represent NYFC at key local events related to NYFC state initiatives
- Host state in-district meetings in around the state
- Engage with state Committees, including cultivating farmers to testify, being present for critical hearings, and building relationships at the Roundhouse
- Help organize advocacy trainings to build farmer capacity toward taking action on critical policy during the 2019 session
- Must be able to have some flexibility to attend events during the day and/or evening, and attend some events somewhat last minute. Position may require significant travel within NM
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office, and comfort speaking in front of groups
- Be well-connected with the New Mexico farming community as well as state elected officials and administrators
- Be knowledgeable about sustainable agriculture, NYFC’s Young Farmer agenda, and state/federal agricultural legislation
- Be self directed and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be bold and willing to meet new people and make introductions to farmers and elected officials
- Highly organized
- Be willing and able to work on a flexible schedule
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel throughout the state
Compensation & Timeline:
NYFC is looking to hire this part-time position to begin as soon as possible, and to conclude by April 15, 2019. The Organizer can expect an average of 20 hrs. per week during the term of employment with hourly compensation at a rate of $20-25/hr.
There may be the opportunity to extend employment beyond the initial term.
Those interested should provide a cover letter along with resume, availability, and references to email@example.com. Please include “New Mexico Campaign Organizer” in the email subject line.
Sign up for our email list to get the latest updates (including job openings), actions, and resources.
The National Young Farmers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. NYFC encourages women, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, and people of color to apply.