The National Young Farmers Coalition’s 6th Annual National Leadership Convergence will be held virtually as the first year in a two-year event with the theme of “Achieving Equity Through Agriculture.“
2020 Convergence will focus on developing a shared language and understanding of racial equity, and programming and workshops will center the needs and experiences of farmers of color. Part Two, to be held in-person in the Southeast in November 2021, will focus on transforming participants’ farming communities by applying the knowledge gained during the first year.
We look forward to expanding 2020 Convergence to welcome more farmers than ever as we explore a virtual space, moving our community building and skill sharing online to connect with each other across the country.
What to expect from 2020 Virtual Convergence:
- Keynote addresses from Leah Penniman, co-founder of Soul Fire Farm and author of Farming While Black: Soul Fire Farm’s Practical Guide to Liberation on the Land and Chris Newman, operator of Sylvanaqua Farm.
- Anti-Racism Training and Caucusing led by the AORTA Collective
- Workshops and panels on Urban Agriculture, Cooperative Farming, Oral Histories, Environmental and Climate Justice, BIPOC Mental Health, and more!
- A presentation from the Young Farmers Policy Committee to present the proposed 2021-22 Federal Policy Platform
- Daily virtual farm tours
- Sessions with the Coalition’s Co-Executive Directors and consultants to participate in long-term strategic planning for Young Farmers work
- Plenty of virtual opportunities to connect with your young farmer peers across the country through text, message boards, small discussion rooms and video chat!
- Farmer directed breakout sessions – you pick the topic!
We are so excited to welcome two incredible leaders in agriculture today, Leah Penniman and Chris Newman. While Convergence 2020 is an invite-only event, we will have limited public tickets available for the two keynote addresses.
Meet Your 2020 Planning Committee!
These farmers have been the heart and soul of envisioning this year’s Convergence.
Registration is by invitation only. Please reach out to Caitlin Arnold Stephano, National Chapter Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.